Public spaces in the landscape of Lviv at the end of the nineteenth century ; Architektura w mieście, architektura dla miasta : przestrzeń publiczna w miastach ziem polskich w "długim" dziewiętnastym wieku ; Zabór austriacki
Łupienko, Aleksander (1980– ) : Editor ; Zabłocka-Kos, Agnieszka (1957– ) : Editor ; Polska Akademia Nauk. Instytut Historii im. Tadeusza Manteuffla
p. 163-198 : ill. (some color) ; 24 cm ; Abstract in English
The most important factor in the growth of Lviv at the end of the nineteenth century was the fact that it was a capital city, and this influenced its increased importance and development, and determined the locality of all of its public spaces. A major part in its development was played by the modernization and extension of the railway network as well as the construction of new railway stations and a rapid extension in tram lines and the creation of a sewage system. At that time, there was no clearly defined urban zones in Lviv, but many different areas that overlapped: representative, housing, and recreational, which were used simultaneously by different groups of the city’s inhabitants. Lviv’s development was stimulated by different social groups as their members constructed monumental and important public and private buildings, thus shaping its space. At the same time, however, they decided on the locality and size of newly erected buildings and their architectural form. The role of Lviv Municipality and the Galicia authorities was not dominant, being merely one of the city’s growth factors. It was related to the rapid development and enrichment of the city that was one of the greatest metropolises in Central Europe, a centre with modern urban planning and management, and infrastructure that was being still modernized. One of the distinguished features in Lviv’s public space was the formation of the largest and most representative architectural complexes in the Polish lands. One of these was an axis starting at the Municipal Theatre with Adam Mickiewicz’s monument and ending at Catholic Bernardines church. Slightly earlier was the complex of the so-called Governor’s Ramparts with some representative buildings. Another was the layout of monuments on Akademicka Street together with the surroundings of the Galician Sejm sessions hall and the numerous monumental buildings in neighbouring streets. These spaces proved to be surprisingly durable: at the end of the nineteenth century they already dominated like the representative avenues, and after 150 years they still dominate the city’s space.
oai:rcin.org.pl:140641 ; 978-83-65880-53-6
IH PAN, call no. II.14682 ; IH PAN, call no. II.14681 Podr. ; click here to follow the link
Creative Commons Attribution BY-ND 4.0 license
Copyright-protected material. [CC BY-ND 4.0] May be used within the scope specified in Creative Commons Attribution BY-ND 4.0 license, full text available at: ; -
Institute of History of the Polish Academy of Sciences
Library of the Institute of History PAS
Oct 2, 2020
Sep 23, 2020
|Lewicki, Jakub (1969- ), Przestrzenie publiczne w krajobrazie Lwowa końca XIX wieku||Oct 2, 2020|
Łupienko, Aleksander (1980– )
Łupienko, Aleksander (1980– ) Zabłocka-Kos, Agnieszka (1957– )
Makała, Rafał (1967– )
Stefański, Krzysztof (1955– )
Pomóż nam ulepszyć RCIN — wypełnij krótką anonimową ankietę!!!
Wiedza o tym, kto korzysta z serwisu RCIN, jakie treści chcą znaleźć użytkownicy, co powinniśmy poprawić jest dla nas ważna, ponieważ pomoże nam lepiej odpowiedzieć na Państwa potrzeby. Odpowiedź na 6 krótkich pytań zajmie minutę. Podobną ankietę przeprowadziliśmy 7 lat temu. Państwa odpowiedzi bardzo nam pomogły. Z góry dziękujemy za poświęcony nam czas.
Zespół Wsparcia Merytorycznego RCIN