The current Wolności Square and Marcinkowskiego Street were planned in the early nineteenth century for a new concept of the city, after Poznań had been annexed to Prussia in the partition of Poland. Although the planned form of this coupled urbanistic complex has survived to this day, the evolution of architectural frames and monument layouts shifted its centres of gravity. Official buildings, their stylistic forms, compositional relations and their spatial frames were becoming an element of a political game, often with additional subliminal meanings. This space was characterised by variable dynamics depending on the current distribution of political forces: at the time of the partitions it was determined by the Polish-German nationality conflict, and deepened by a rivalry between civic and state initiatives which was disclosed through specific stylistic forms and localities of buildings and monuments. In the Second Polish Republic, there was a symbolic clearing of the square through the demolition of monuments and replacement of pavements, which levelled the previous double-height space. It could be assumed that the original antagonism became a positive founding element of the palace and avenue as the “heart of the city”, which is indicated by the plans of these transformations from 1905 and the Second World War. This raises the question whether the disappearance of this tension today can be – apart from other, more decisive factors – one of the reasons why this space was abandoned by the city’s inhabitants.
Zasób chroniony prawem autorskim. [CC BY-ND 4.0 Międzynarodowe] Korzystanie dozwolone zgodnie z licencją Creative Commons Uznanie autorstwa-Bez utworów zależnych 4.0, której pełne postanowienia dostępne są pod adresem: ; -
Łupienko, Aleksander (1980– )
Łupienko, Aleksander (1980– ) Zabłocka-Kos, Agnieszka (1957– )
Makała, Rafał (1967– )
Stefański, Krzysztof (1955– )