Object

This publication is protected and can be accessed only from certain IPs.
This publication is protected and can be accessed only from certain IPs.

Title: [A Jewish cemetery] [An iconographic document]

Creator:

[Bogdanowicz, Mikołaj]

Date issued/created:

[ca 1914-1918]

Resource Type:

Photography

Description:

The photograph shows a Jewish cemetery and stone matzevahs. In the background you can see three steles with inscriptions in Hebrew. Two of them have the same decorations in the upper part of the gravestones, but different inscriptions. A decorative motif is a candlestick, which means that these are the graves of women. Behind these three steles you can see long rows of other matzevahs ; The author of the photograph was the father of the photo owner. He was an engineer - building roads and bridges (a specialization in the former KK Austria), Mikołaj Bogdanowicz. During the 1st World War, as a native of Galicia, he was appointed to the Austrian army. In this army he was the commander of three companies of engineers, one of whom was Jewish company. The area of its operation was Volhynia and partially Podolia, where during many months of "stopping" of the front he was building trenches, roads, bridges, etc. ; the period of 1st World War, a village in Terebovlia vicinity, Podolia, now Ukraine ; The photo sent to the contest named “Photography of the Polish village pre-1948” organized in 1983 by the quarterly “Fotografia” (Photography) and the weekly “Nowa Wieś” (New village). Copy of the photo kept at the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences (former Institute for the History of Material Culture)

Format:

application/pdf

Resource Identifier:

oai:rcin.org.pl:45858

Source:

IAiE PAN, call no. 233A-204

Rights:

Rights Reserved - Restricted Access

Terms of use:

Copyright-protected material. Access only on terminals at the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, may be used within the limits of statutory user freedoms.

Digitizing institution:

Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences

Original in:

Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences

Projects co-financed by:

Programme Innovative Economy, 2010-2014, Priority Axis 2. R&D infrastructure ; European Union. European Regional Development Fund