The results of experiments concerning the elimination of Acridoidea by spiders of the species Araneus quadratus Clerck are described. It was established that their elimination due to spiders depends on the initial density of the prey population - the percentage of the insects caught in the webs rises with the increase of the density of the insects in the environment. The elimination also increases if the spiders are already stabilized in the environment at the moment of introduction of the prey and when they deal with a population new to the given environment, not adapted to the new conditions. The losses in the yield of vascular plants caused by grasshoppers were two times smaller in the experiments in which spiders were present as compared with those occuring in an environment with the same initial number of insects in the absence of spiders.
1. Andrzejewska, L., Breymeyer, A., Kajak, A., Wójcik, Z. 1967 - Experimental studies on trophic relationships of terrestrial invertebrates (Secondary productivity of terrestrial ecosystems. Ed. K. Petrusewicz) Warszawa-Kraków, 477-495.
2. Andrzejewska, L., Wójcik, Z. (in press) - The influence of Acridoidea on primary meadow production - estimation based on experimental data - Ekol. Pol. A.
3. Dąbrowska-Prot, E., Łuczak, J., Tarwid, K. 1968 - Prey and predator density and their reactions in the process of mosquito reduction by spiders in field experiments - Ekol. Pol. A, 16.
4. Haynes, D. L., Sisojević, P. 1966 - Predatory behavior of Philodromus rufus Walckener (Araneae: Thomisidae) - Can. Ent. 98: 113-133.
5. Kaczmarek, W. 1961 - On the role of euryecious species in biocenotical regulation phenomena - Bull. Acad. Pol. Sci. Cl. II, 9: 41-45.
6. Kaczmarek, W. 1963 - An analysis of interspecific competition in communities of the soil macrofauna of some habitats in the Kampinos National Park - Ekol. Pol. A, 11: 421-484.
7. MacArthur, R. 1955 - Fluctuations of animal populations and a measure of community stability - Ecology, 36: 533-536.
8. Traczyk, T. 1966 - Plant communities of Strzeleckie Meadows in Kampinos Forest - Ekol. Pol. A, 14: 285-299.
9. Traczyk, T. 1968 - Studies on the primary production in meadow community - Ekol. Pol. A, 16: 59-100.
10. Voute, A. D. 1946 - Regulation of density of the insect populations in virgin forests and cultivated woods - Arch. Neerl. Zool. 7: 435-470.
Operational Program Digital Poland, 2014-2020, Measure 2.3: Digital accessibility and usefulness of public sector information; funds from the European Regional Development Fund and national co-financing from the state budget.
Feb 4, 2022
Apr 17, 2019
Dąbrowska-Prot, Eliza Łuczak, Jadwiga Tarwid, Kazimierz
Kajak, Anna Łuczak, Jadwiga
Kajak, Anna Łuczak, Jadwiga