The paper is an introduction to the field studies on bioenergetics of a natural population of Asellus aquaticus L. It gives a general outline of seasonal and annual changes in occurrence of macrobenthos with special attention paid to the species examined. The changes in numbers, biomass, and calorific equivalent of invertebrate benthic animals (except Mollusca) are given as a background of the population dynamics. Age, sex and size structures of A. aquaticus have been studied. The A. aquaticus population, abundant in late spring, was found to decline during summer with a certain tendency to restore in autumn. Annual changes point to the long-term population decline.
1. Anderson E. 1969 - Life-cycle and growth of Asellus aquaticus (L.) with special reference to the effects of temperature - Rep. Inst. Freshwat. Res. Drottingholm, 49: 5-26.
2. Fitzpatrick C. H. 1968 - The population dynamics and bioenergetics of the isopod, Asellus aquaticus L., in a small freshwater pond - M.Sc. Thesis, University of Durham.
3. Just J., Hermanowicz W. 1964 - Fizyczne i chemiczne badanie wody do picia i potrzeb gospodarczych - Państwowe Zakłady Wydawnictw Lekarskich, Warszawa, 311 pp.
4. Klekowski R. Z., Bęczkowski J. 1973 - A new modification of microbomb calorimeter - Ekol. pol. 21: 229-238.
5. Phillipson J. 1964 - A miniature bomb calorimeter for small biological samples - Oikos 15: 130-139.
6. Prus T. 1971 - The assimilation efficiency of Asellus aquaticus L. (Crustacea, Isopoda) – Freshwat. Biol. 1: 287-305.
7. Prus T. 1972 - Energy requirement, expenditure and transformation efficiency during development of Asellus aquaticus L. (Crustacea, Isopoda) –P ol. Arch. Hydrobiol. 19: 97-112.
8. Prus T. 1976 - Experimental and field studies on ecological energetics of Asellus aquaticus L. (Isopoda). II. Respiration at various temperatures as an element of energy budget - Ekol. pol. 24: 607-621.
Operational Program Digital Poland, 2014-2020, Measure 2.3: Digital accessibility and usefulness of public sector information; funds from the European Regional Development Fund and national co-financing from the state budget.
Jan 11, 2021
Jul 9, 2019
Wesołowski, Tomasz (1950– ) Tomiałojć, Ludwik (1939– ) Stawarczyk, Tadeusz (1952– )
Kaczmarek, Maria Wasilewski, Aleksander
Fronczak, Jerzy Dombrowski, Andrzej
Czechowska, Wiesława Radchenko, Alexander G. Czechowski, Wojciech