The paper deals with self-regulation processes in confined populations of Tribolium. Using the marking method, studies were made of the effects of adult population density and of conditioning of the medium on fecundity and egg mortality resulting from cannibalistic predation in experimental populations. The estimates were made of rates of fecundity, egg cannibalism and the survival of eggs. The two species revealed very efficient regulatory mechanisms which, under certain ecological conditions, can restrain almost completely the recruitment of new larvae to the populations. It was found that in T. confusum it was the egg cannibalism which was the major mean of regulation, and in T. castaneum – the restriction of potential fecundity, associated with crowding and conditioning of the medium.
1. Allee, W.C. 1931 - Animal aggregations: a study in general sociology - Chicago.
2. Allee, W.C., Emerson, A.E., Park, O., Park, T., Schmidt, K.P. 1950 - Principles of animal ecology - Philadelphia - London.
3. Andrewartha, H.G., Birch, L.C. 1954 - The distribution and abundance of animals - Chicago.
4. Dirch, L.C., Park, T., Frank, M.B. 1951 - The effect of intraspecies and interspecies competition on the fecundity of two species of flour beetles - Evolution, 5: 116-132.
5. Bond, J.A. 1961 - Aspects of dispersion in two species of flour beetles - Doctoral dissertation, Chicago, Department of Zoology, University of Chicago.
6. Boyce, J.M. 1946 – The influence of fecundity and egg mortality on the population growth of Tribolium confusum Duval - Ecology, 27: 290-302.
7. Brereton, J. Le Gay 1962 - A laboratory study of population regulation in Tribolium confusum - Ecology, 43: 63-69.
8. Chapman, R.N. 1928 - The quantitative analysis of environmental factors - Ecology, 9: 111-122.
9. Chapman, R.N., Baird, L. 1934 - The biotic constants of Tribolium confusum Duval - J. exp. Zool. 68: 293-304.
10. Crombie, A.C. 1942 - The effect of crowding upon the oviposition of grain-infesting insects - J. exp. Biol. 19: 311-340.
11. Crombie, A.C. 1943 - The effect of crowding upon the natality of grain-infesting insects - Proc. zool. Soc. Land. Ser. A, 113: 77-98.
12. Ghent, A.W. 1963 – Studies of behavior of the Tribolium beetles. I. Contrasting responses of T. castaneum and T. confusum to fresh and conditioned flours - Ecology, 44: 269-283.
13. Howard, L.O., Fiske, W.F. 1911 - The importation into the United States of the parasites of the gipsy moth and the brown tail moth - Bull. U.S. Bur. Ent. 91: 1-312.
14. Klekowski, R.Z., Prus, T., Żyromska-Rudzka, H. 1967 - Elements of energy budget of Tribolium castaneum Hbst. (Coleoptera, Tenebrionidae) in its developmental cycle (Secondary productivity of terrestrial ecosystems, Petrusewicz, K., Ed.) - Warszawa, Kraków.
15. Lindquist, E .F. 1953 - Design and analysis of experiments in psychology and education - Cambridge.
16. MacLagan, D.S. 1932 - The effect of population density upon the rate of reproduction with special reference to insects - Proc. R. Soc. B, III: 437-454.
17. Naumow, N .P. 1961 - Ekologia zwierzat - Warszawa.
18. Neyman, J., Park, T., Scott, E.L. 1956 - Struggle for existence. The Tribolium model: Biological and statistical aspects (Proceedings of the third Berkeley symposium on mathematical statistics and probability) - Berkeley.
19. Nicholson, A.J. 1954 - An outline of dynamics of animal populations - Aust. J. Zool. 2: 9-65.
20. Park, T. 1934a - Studies in population physiology. III. The effect of conditioned flour upon the productivity and population decline of Tribolium confusum - J. exp. Zool. 68: 167-182.
21. Park, T. 1934b - Observations on the general biology of the flour beetle Tribolium confusum - Quart. Rev. Biol. 9: 36-54.
22. Park, T. 1935 - Studies in population physiology. IV. Some physiological effects of conditioned flour upon Tribolium confusum Duval and its populations - Physiol. Zool. 8: 91-115.
23. Park, T. 1936 - Studies in population physiology. VI. The effect of differentially conditioned flour upon the fecundity and fertility of Tribolium confusum Duval - J. exp. Zool. 73: 393-404.
24. Park, T. 1948 - Experimental studies of interspecies competition. I. Competition between populations of the flour beetles Tribolium confusum Duval and Tribolium castaneum Herbst - Ecol. Monogr. 18: 265-308.
25. Park, T. 1954 - Experimental studies of interspecies competition. II. Temperature, humidity, and competition in two species of Tribolium - Physiol. Zool. 27: 177-231.
26. Park, T., Frank, M. B. 1948 - The fecundity and development of the flour beetles, Tribolium confusum and Tribolium castaneum at three constant temperatures - Ecology, 29: 368-374.
27. Park, T., Gregg, E.V., Lutherman, C.Z. 1941 - Studies in population physiology. X. Interspecies competition in populations of granary beetles - Physiol. Zool. 14: 395-430.
28. Park, T., Leslie, P.H., Mertz, D.B. 1964 - Genetic strains and competition in populations of Tribolium - Physiol. Zool. 37: 97-162.
29. Park, T., Mertz, D.B., Grodziński, W., Prus, T. 1965 - Cannibalistic predation in populations of flour beetles - Physiol. Zool. 38: 289-321.
30. Park, T., Mertz, D.B., Petrusewicz, K. 1961 - Genetic strains of Tribolium: their primary characteristics - Physiol. Zool. 34: 61-80.
31. Park, T., Woollcott, N. 1937 - Studies in population physiology. VII. The relation of environmental conditioning to the decline of Tribolium confusum populations - Physiol. Zool. 10: 197-211.
32. Petrusewicz, K. 1965 - Dynamika liczebności, organizacja i struktura ekologiczna populacji - Ekol. Pol. B, 11: 299-316.
33. Petrusewicz, K., Prus, T., Rudzka, H. 1963 - Density and size of medium in populations of Tribolium - Ekol. Pol. A, 9: 603-608.
34. Polnik, A. 1900 - Effects of some intraspecies processes on competition between two species of flour beetles, Latheticus oryzae and Tribolium confusum - Physiol. Zool. 33: 42-57.
35. Prus, T. 1961 - The effect of homotypic and heterotypic conditioning of medium upon the net fecundity of Tribolium castaneum Herbst and T. confusum Duval - Ekol. Pol. A, 9: 245-257.
36. Prus, T. 1963 - Search for methods to investigate mobility in Tribolium - Ecology, 44: 801-803.
37. Prus, T. 1966 - Emigrational ability and surface numbers of adult beetles in 12 strains of Tribolium confusum Duval and T. castaneum Herbst (Coleoptera, Tenebrionidae) - Ekol. Pol. A., 14: 547-588.
38. Rich, E.R. 1956 - Egg cannibalism and fecundity in Tribolium - Ecology, 37: 109-120.
39. Solomon, M.E. 1949 - The natural control of animal populations - J. anim. Ecol. 18: 1-35.
40. Sonleitner, F.J. 1961 - Factors affecting egg cannibalism and fecundity in populations of adult Tribolium castaneum Herbst - Physiol. Zool. 34: 233-255.
41. Stanley, J. 1942 - A mathematical theory of the growth of populations of the flour beetle Tribolium confusum Duv. V. The relation between the limiting value of egg populations in the absence of hatching and the sex-ratio of the group of adult beetles used in a culture - Ecology, 23: 24-31.
Operational Program Digital Poland, 2014-2020, Measure 2.3: Digital accessibility and usefulness of public sector information; funds from the European Regional Development Fund and national co-financing from the state budget.
Nov 10, 2020
Apr 17, 2019
|Nr 16. Some regulatory mechanisms in populations of Tribolium confusum Duval and Tribolium castaneum Herbst / Prus T.||Nov 10, 2020|
Prus, Mirosława Prus, Tadeusz B.