Reclaiming the Old Vistula and the construction of “Planty Dietlowskie” in Kraków: the beginning of the integration of quarters of various religious-social character? ; Architektura w mieście, architektura dla miasta : przestrzeń publiczna w miastach ziem polskich w "długim" dziewiętnastym wieku ; Zabór austriacki
The article presents the development of “Planty Dietlowskie” (named after the professor of Jagiellonian University, Józef Dietl) on the part of the old Vistula River that was reclaimed. The Vistula cut-off formed a natural frontier between the city centre and the Kazimierz district, inhabited by Jews, which had earlier been an independent suburban Jewish town. In the eyes of hygienists and modernizers, the old Vistula presented a significant problem: it was becoming less and less passable, and people on its two banks used it to dispose of waste and sewage.The filling up of this part of the old Vistula was at the top of the list of objectives postulated by the municipal government. The project was implemented with financial support from the National Department, and squares were arranged. As a result, the Christian and Jewish quarters found themselves next to each other. The author questions whether this physical closeness had any impact on the social integration of Kraków’s inhabitants.
Oct 2, 2020
Sep 23, 2020
Łupienko, Aleksander (1980– )
Łupienko, Aleksander (1980– ) Zabłocka-Kos, Agnieszka (1957– )
Makała, Rafał (1967– )
Bursiewicz, Natalia (1983– )